Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Introducing...the P4K All-Stars...


Tonight is Major League Baseball's All-Star Game.  Hosted by the New York Mets at Citi Field, the Midsummer Classic has long been a staple of my warm weather sports viewing.  Even as a child, I remember making plans around the game...and being sure to be near a television as the broadcast began.



For me the best part of the festivities has always been the player introductions.  All-Star players file on to each respective baseline, each in his team's uniform, awaiting the public address announcer's introduction.  As the camera pans systematically down the row, reserve players are introduced alphabetically by franchises.  When their names are called, the stars step off the baseline and wave to or salute the crowd.

It seems like a fairly silly thing but there is something regal about it which makes it must-see-TV for me.  I still get excited when players from "my" team(s) (American League -- Minnesota Twins; National League -- Milwaukee Brewers) are being introduced.

It is in light of that event and in the spirit of acknowledging all-stars, I submit this blog entry to you...



 As some of you know, I run an outreach ministry (P4K). 

As even more of you know, para-church ministries are largely dependent upon donations and outside supporters to continue their work.

***Don’t worry, this is NOT a plea for funds or supporters...please read on.***

P4K has been my “full-time job” since 1990.  We run a youth center, I do some speaking, freelance writing and art, counseling, personal training, etc.  When I received my very distinct call to ministry when I was a 6th grader, I knew I would be doing what I’m doing...and never, ever taking a paycheck for it.  I remember telling my advisor in college of my plans.  Without hesitation he quipped, “You’re either hearing from God or you’re crazy.”

I contend a little of both.  :)

In fact, when it comes to God's provision, you may not believe what we've experienced...

Most of the finances to run P4K come from my wife and I...and we’re okay with that.  God still supernaturally intervenes.  One month we were $222.16 short of our expenses.  I walked to the post office to mail out our bill payments knowing we did not have the money.  Praying the entire time, I dropped the payments in the mail and then went to our Post Office box.  In it were two letters.  One contained a check from a local benevolent organization for $200.  I was relieved thinking we were only short $22.16.  The other letter was from an elderly woman from our town whom I didn’t really even know.  In shaky penmanship there was a note saying she felt impressed to give us what she could...a check for $22.16!

So see, I’m not worried about money.

I’m not hocking my wares or offering you gold-plated replicas of the Youth Center or Holyland Olive wood carved trinkets.

In fact, I want to simply let you know about our donors.  We would never have to worry about All-Star Game-like introductions for them...partly because none of them would want the recognition but mostly because we wouldn't have enough to fill a baseline.

We have TWO.

Yes, that’s right...we have two regular donors to the ministry we do.  Monthly we bring in $50 from those two sources.

...but OH, what sources they are!

One is a man with brain tumors.  I first met him when he was in relatively good health and working as a computer technician for our internet service provider.  We struck up a friendship and he has been a blessing to us ever since.  While his terminal illnesses render him unable to work (and, at times, unable to talk or move), he still scrounges up $10 each month and sends it to me because he “...believe(s) God wants (me) doing what (I) do.”

IF for some reason he cannot find $10 to send (or if he is not able to physically get anything ready in the mail), we undoubtedly get either a call or email of apology.

Humbling.

The other supporter is a couple near retirement age.  Their family has endured tragedy, loss, persecution and drastic difficulties ever since we’ve known them.  Yet, monthly they send $40 and the most precious handwritten notes of encouragement.  We can always expect the envelope in the 2nd or 3rd of each month as it is faithfully mailed on the 1st.

...except this month.  Our envelope didn’t arrive until nearly the 10th!  And folded around the sacrificial gift of a check was a note which apologized for the delay.  The wife (who generally sends our mail) had a heart attack...and couldn’t get the letter out until after she was out of the hospital! 

That’s right...she was apologizing to me because she had a heart attack and couldn’t send me her gift.

Overwhelming.

I share this to reassure you...God knows what He’s doing.  We don’t have an army of financial supporters but we certainly have an all-star line-up of indomitable partners.  Faith over finances any day.

I am not worthy of any of these amazing people...but God is...and I am grateful he’s sharing them with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment