Monday, April 15, 2013

Heaping helping of Texas Chile


I’ll admit it...I don’t really “get” Texas in some ways.

Everyone I have ever known who is from Texas (or has transplanted themselves there) has had a certain level of pride in the state.  Not only is everything bigger in Texas (so I hear) but Texas was once its own Republic/country.  From the sprawling ranches to the diverse metropolitans, the Lone Star state is equal parts confusion and intrigue to me.

In no way am I disparaging Texas.  I’m just admitting to not completely understanding it.

One happening in the Longhorn state, however, I do understand full-well.  It is something which ought to not only cause us to possibly chuckle and shake our heads in bemused amusement, but should be cause for pause, too.

The flag of Texas features a single star in a field of blue with a white and red stripe.  Again, if you know anyone from Texas, you’ve probably seen it -- on a license plate, piece of clothing, etc. 

The flag of the South American country, Chile also features a single star, a field of blue and a white and red stripe...only its blue is not as large as Texas’ (which goes without saying).



In 2010, Atascosa County (located just slightly south of San Antonio), printed and distributed instruction sheets along with mid-term election absentee ballots.  The information came proudly bearing the single star on a field of blue, the crisp white panel and the vibrant red one.  It was a perfect representation...of a country over 5,000 miles away from Texas!

That’s right...the officials of Atascosa County used Chile’s flag instead of Texas’!

I said I don’t necessarily understand Texas (or Texans) but I do understand this faux pas.  

It was a mistake...nothing sinister; not a covert attempt to switch allegiances, I know.  The flags look very similar.  It was an honest blunder.  However, it should also serve as a warning to us.

Someone (more likely many someones) in Atascosa County were not able to correctly identify the flag of Texas.  It undoubtedly flew above the courthouse and government buildings.  It was more than likely on their license plates.  Yet, no one was able to -- whether it be from ignorance, arrogance or dissonance -- distinguish the difference between Texas and Chile.

If we are not careful to fully determine who we are (what we stand for, believe in, hold as standards, will do, etc.) it becomes relatively simple to be misidentified, misrepresented, misunderstood, mistaken...and miserable.

I work with students.  Far too often I see them trying their hardest to match the design of others.  This results in lives which are much like Texas’ and Chile’s flags -- nearly indistinguishable.  

We must know who we are...to be able to quickly and clearly identify those things which make us exclusively us.  If we don’t, we are susceptible to confusion and compromise.

When we fail to distinguish ourselves from everyone else, we run the risk of making the same mistake Atascosa County did.  I need to know me so I can consistently and accurately show me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment