Tuesday, April 9, 2013

An Unexpected Masterpiece



One doesn’t need to be an art expert to recognize the painting above.  It is fairly familiar to many people who couldn’t distinguish its significant color and composition from crayons on construction paper. 

While most people just refer to the painting as “Whistler’s Mother”, the actual name of the 1871 masterpiece is Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1:  Portrait of the Artist’s Mother (I know, captivating title, huh?).

Interestingly enough, the piece should never have been painted.  Whistler (James McNeill Whistler, to be specific) never had any intention of creating a portrait of his mom.  Instead, he had hired a lively, beautiful teenaged girl named Maggie Graham to be his model for this Arrangement (so named because he also had an affinity for music and likened his creations to pieces of music)Graham never showed up for work.  Irritated yet still inspired to paint, Whistler prevailed upon his widowed mother to sit in for her.

The resulting work easily became Whistler’s most iconic and easily identifiable creation.  While he was a well-decorated artist, the mention of his name quickly conjures up the black and grey image of his mother sitting ever so stoically.

This story fascinates me.

...it also challenges me.

Whistler was ready to paint.

Graham was his chosen subject/model.

Yet, Whistler did not let her failure to show up frustrate his desire to create.  Never one to waste inspiration, he used what he had.  Because he did not let Graham’s absence become an excuse to not paint, the world has one of its great masterpieces.

There are times I feel like Whistler.  I have a deep desire to “do” certain things.  In my mind, the plans I envision executing are grand and glorious.  There are moments when I feel poised to truly create a masterpiece.  But, then something always seems to fall apart or go contrary to my schemes and dreams.

Recently I visited a facility which is very similar to what I’ve always dreamed of having.  It had a full court gym, a workout area, a lounge area, state-of-the-art equipment, etc.  This has always been a part of what I have wanted to be able to offer the students and families I try to reach.  This sort of a place is my “Maggie Graham” -- the model I’ve always hoped to present to the world.  

While the place was definitely nice, it was not mine.  Instead, I have a basement youth center, a warehouse workout facility and a barn basketball court.  None of what I have is ideal.  I work with leaky roofs, thrift store equipment and a subterranean gathering place.

When I consider “Whistler’s Mother”, I am humbled.

Use what you have.

The “art” was not in Maggie Graham or a widowed mother...the ART was in Whistler.  His desire and gift to create is what mattered. 

The correlation (and challenge) for me is obvious.  I need to use my God-given drive, discipline and duties to compose the most beautiful masterpiece I can.  I cannot wait for what I believe would be the perfect model.  I cannot delay hoping for better situations.  I need to simply put whatever brush I have to whatever canvas I have and do what I can.

The world may never see it...but I intend to use what I have to create a masterpiece.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment