Monday, March 16, 2009

FEELING 40



I turned 40 yesterday.

Funny, I expected to feel differently than I did prior to reaching that milestone.

I don’t.

There must be something to be said about working with students on a daily basis. While they can definitely cause premature awareness of age, they may actually help stave off actual aging (“young at heart” and all that, you know).

However, my body certainly shows its age -- wrinkes, rolls, swellings, involuntary odd sounds, etc. I sadly do find myself starting sentences with: “When I was your age...” or “I remember when...” Styles I wore in high school are making a resurgence (Lord, help us all). Music I listened to is now being played on “oldies” and “classic rock” stations.

Yet, with the exception of an occasional inability to get up from a chair without the help of momentum, I don’t feel particularly old. Several well-meaning friends even reminded me yesterday that “age is just a number” and “you’re only as old as you feel”, etc. Such statements may seem trite...but also prove to be true.

That got me to thinking...

...it amazes me how many things in our lives are simply done by “feel”. We judge a great deal of what we do (or don’t do) solely upon how we “feel” about it or how it “feels” to us.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we should never, ever “listen” to our feelings...not at all. What I am saying, though, is let’s not forget that some things defy feeling...some things just “are” -- whether we “feel” them or not.

Fact is, I am 40. That’s officially middle-aged. I’m supposed to start scheduling regular trips to the doctor to be poked and prodded in ways I’d rather not even think about...because I am 40. I may not “feel” 40. I may not even “look” 40 (although I’d definitely debate that). Nevertheless, I AM 40.

The most important thing in my life is my personal relationship with God through His Son, Jesus. I am a Christian. I am even a “reverend” (genuflecting is appreciated but unnecessary). There is an awful lot of “feeling” involved in the type of faith experience with which I am mostly closely connected. We “feel” the presence of God at times and in various places. We “feel” moved to worship by certain atmospheres and arrangements of songs we like. We “feel” supported when joined together with like-minded believers. We “feel” a great many things associated with faith.

My Bible says God can not only “save” me, but He “declares” me to be “right(eous)”. It has NOTHING to do with what I “feel”.

The whole transaction of God sending Jesus, then Jesus sinlessly living, being crucified, buried and raised minimizes my need to “feel” anything.

It makes it possible for me to just “be” right with God -- even when I’m not “feeling it”. Because, through Christ, God declares me to be right, I AM...whether I “feel” it or not.

It makes me sad when I see people abandon their walk of faith because they’re just not getting the type of feeling they think they need to get. It is even more sad to me when people refuse to even begin a walk of faith because they don’t “feel” the need. I’m not disregarding the fact that we can feel things...I just don’t think feeling is always necessary.

Trusting...
Believing...
Knowing...
Acting...

...those are all more important (to me) than “feeling” anything when it comes to my relationship with God. I’d much rather live by what God SAYS then what I FEEL.

Like I said, whether I “feel” it or not, I AM 40. It would be beneficial for me to remember that...and let it start impacting the way I live. I’m not in the market for a good rocking chair or burial plot quite yet...but I DO have to realize that I AM 40. The way I care for my body, the way I handle relationships, the way I view the world around me...all those things need to be flavored by 40.

I ought to do the same thing with my personal righteousness through Christ. Even on those days I don’t “feel” it, I need to remember it IS true. And then I need to let it impact the way I care for my body, the way I handle relationships, the way I view the world around me...and much more.

I don’t “feel” 40 today.

I don’t particularly “feel” righteous today, either.

But, I AM both...

...so I’d better start acting like it.

2 comments: