Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Life Bracketology"



I won’t lie. Today -- the first day of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament -- is perhaps my favorite day of the year. I absolutely love the “madness” of this time of year. I’ll admit I am glued to my television for every moment of every game.

I’ve got snacks (sensible ones, I AM 40 after all) already lined up, the plasma screen dusted off, necessary work taken care of and appropriate lounging attire selected. I also have my brackets filled out and my online “pools” filled with friends.

It is interesting to me, millions of people fill out brackets each year...and no one ever gets them perfectly correct. I know I never do.

In fact, the odds of picking a perfect bracket: 9.2 quintillion-to-1.

That means if a person could fill out 1 bracket per second, it will take 20 times longer than the universe has existed to get a perfect one!

Yet, those staggering odds against reaching perfection never seem to deter hardcore fans and casual observers alike from prognosticating. While they know they’ll never be perfect, they’re still more than willing to be participants.

My method of bracket selection is perhaps a bit unique. I’ve had good success -- having won various pools I’ve been in probably 6 or 7 times in the last 10 years -- but my approach may not be the most rational.

I’m a huge Duke University fan. I simply love that program -- the way it is run, the student-athletes who are recruited, the coaching staff, the approach to the game, the style of play...even the blue in their uniforms. For those reasons, I think Duke is going to win every year. I begin my brackets by assuming Duke is going to cut down the nets. I believe in them. They’re “in my heart” (pardon the cheesiness, but that’s how I feel).

From that point on, honestly, I just go with my gut. I fill out ONE bracket. I usually do it in about 10 minutes or less. I never look back, I never try to correct or redo things. I understand I’m not going to be perfect. I also understand I believe in Duke so much that they’re my team. With those two things in mind I forge boldly ahead. It seems to work for me.

I’m pretty sure it is an approach which works well in life, too.

The odds of me living a perfect life are even worse than 9.2 quintillion-to-1. It just isn’t going to happen. I WILL make mistakes. The sooner I come to grips with that, the better off I’ll be. Knowing that allows me to not try to “micromanage” things.

The fact that I am thoroughly convined Duke will be each year’s champion helps, too. I know in whom I believe. They go on the center line each time...the rest is just “details”.

In my life Christ is central. I believe in Him, in His ways, in His modes, means, methods and meanings. He’s always my champion...no matter what or who else seems to be a popular pick.

So I approach my life knowing I’m fallible, but making each decision based upon Christ being number one. Everything else simply builds off these two truths: I’m not perfect, He is supreme.

I’d blog more but the games will be starting soon -- I have to get my game face on (you know, bleary-eyes from staring at the screen, immovable grin from having a day of basketball ahead of me).

I hope you all do well with your bracket picks this year.

2 comments:

  1. Enlightening, and it makes perfect sense. As long as you know that you want Heaven to "fall into the center line", everything else will fall into it's own bracket, not perfectly, of course ; )

    Hm...perhaps tomorrow's Soul Food talk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I bet a lot of people have a team that is their "Duke." They have the one team they show infallible loyalty to, have no doubt will win, and are willing to change their life, view, or schedule for. Deep down, though, they know the team, be it professional or collegiate, simply can't win every year.

    And yet, facing the choice between believing in theories and ideas that don't work and a God that has achieved true infallibility, these same people have no fear avoiding the "sure thing." It can be frustrating to a logical guy like me and its why I admire what you do so much.

    (Hook 'em Horns tomorrow, though!)

    ReplyDelete