Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Giraffe & Mouse = Twins


I have a confession to make...

I’ve never really watched Sesame Street.  



(I’ve never seen “The Wizard of Oz”, either...but that’s for a different blog.)

Growing up, Sesame Street existed, I just never really watched it.  That doesn’t stop me from being familiar with its concepts and cast, however.  It also doesn’t mean I am unaware some of its songs and segments either.

For example, I know all the lyrics to the classic, “One of these things is not like the other...” diddy. 

Sadly I am also quite well-acquainted with the principle behind the exercise.

In fact, just like most of the rest of the world, I rather adept at looking at things (and people) and quickly offering an assessment of their differences.  I readily notice height, weight, attractiveness, fitness, demeanor, wardrobe, odor, and other easily-recognizable outward characteristics.

I am even capable of “spinning it forward” enough to render my opinions on their happiness, contentment, worthiness, wholeness, etc.

Chances are you do the same thing.

You see someone who looks trim and well-groomed wearing the latest styles and immediately imagine his life is blessed, perhaps even “easy”.  Or, maybe you take note of someone who seems self-assured in a social setting and naturally come to the conclusion that he is well-adjusted and without any personal hang-ups.

...and then the song starts to play in your head...”One of these things is not like the other...”

...and then the comparisons and self-loathing begin.  

Sound familiar?

If you’re human, it probably does.

We all seem to be wired to compare...and when we do, we’re all pretty lousy at it.

Consider this:



A typical giraffe stands 16-20 feet tall and weighs over 3,000 pounds.  Its neck alone is often 5-7 feet long.  A standard field mouse stands less than two inches tall and weighs less than an ounce.

Yet, their necks is precisely the same.  Made up of the same seven bones, the necks of these two creatures are structurally identical. 

Same construction.

Same content.

Vastly different appearance.

Plato once said, “Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

Even the most seemingly “together” person holds the same internal “structure” as me.  Those people who seem to be care-free may actually be struggling with inner conflicts just like I am.  Those individuals who are skinnier than I am may losing the fight with other battles I have already won in my own life.  Those people who fire up the “One of these things...” song in my head may very well be looking at me humming the same tune wishing they had something they perceive me as having.

I’ll be honest, I would never look at a giraffe and a field mouse and think they shared a neck blueprint.  Nope...just too much of a difference on the surface.  But, they do.

In just the same way, I am not likely to look at others who are more successful, more attractive, more well-liked, etc., than me and believe we have common frameworks.

But, I need to -- for my sake, for their sake, for Christ’s sake.

We are all flawed -- no one I encounter is without blemish or weakness.  Some may hide it better than others, but we all have things which haunt, humble and humiliate us.

We are all fallen -- no one I encounter is able to rise to an holy level of acceptableness (Romans 3:23).  Some may comport themselves as complete but even their best isn’t good enough (Isaiah 64:6).

We are all fixable (2 Corinthians 5:17 & James 1:2-4).

While I’m sure Sesame Street never intended to train us to compare and compete with others, the “One of these things...” mentality is detrimental.

By now the song is probably stuck in your head (and will remain there at least for the rest of the day).  Don’t ditch the music...just switch the message.  Try this instead:


All of these things are just like the others, 
All of these things have things that are wrong, 
If I can stop thinking I’m worse off than the others 
I have a chance to grow and be strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment