Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"The Bible" mini-series

History Channel's "The Bible" mini-series is just slightly past its mid-way point.  If you haven't seen it yet, you are most certainly in the minority.  With huge ratings, the big-budget production is drawing raves from some of the faithful and rants from others.

During the first episode, I posted a message on Facebook simply stating I was enjoying the show.  Nearly as soon as I clicked to send the message, I was alerted to several comments it spawned.  None of them were positive.  ALL of them were from "brothers and sisters" -- Christians holding the same faith as me.

I have a theology-based degree.  I have been serving in full-time ministry for more than two decades.  I could easily dissect the mini-series and point out inaccuracies and omissions.  Likewise, I could engage in unending debates with others about the shows' merits and hermaneutics.

Frankly, I see very little point in doing any of those things.

Shortly after the most recent installment aired, my various social media outlets were filled with people posting about how they disagreed with one component or another.  In fact, one post I read mentioned how "The Bible" on History Channel was doing a DISservice to God and running the risk of drawing people away from Christ.

The creators (notice, small-case "c") of the programs -- Mark Burnett of "Survivor" fame and his wife Roma Downy of "Touched By An Angel" -- admit they were trying to be as textually accurate as possible (they even employed 40 Bible scholars on-set during filming).  However, a precise point-by-point retelling of the Scriptures was not their intent.  Instead, they recently told CBS News, they merely hoped to create an interest in, and generate conversation about the Bible, its characters and Author.

For what it is worth, I frankly would rather have Christians be less concerned about the exactness of the mini-series and more concerned about their readiness to entertain the conversations it brings.

How profoundly sad that some of those conversations are centered around criticism and critique.  When was the last time Jesus (or Moses, Samson, Abraham, etc.) was readily-accepted water cooler fodder?  What a magnificent opportunity for Believers to bypass the chance to be knit-picky and embrace the possibility of saying, "...would you like to know more about that?  Let me tell you..."or, better yet, SHOW them.

I know in my life I am much more likely to "major on minor things" when I am not where I need to be personally.  It is easier to appear spiritual by diverting attention to miniscule details in others than it is to take responsibility for perhaps not being an accurate depiction of Christ myself.

Feel free to search for inaccuracies and point out areas with which you may disagree with what is on the small screen.  But, while you're doing that, I'll be trying to know and show Jesus as He is in real life -- mine...and hopefully others, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment