Thursday, March 28, 2013

Nevertheless


I love words.

Although the English language is confusing and, at times, frustratingly backwards in some of its rules, I still believe words can be powerful and pretty, compelling and comforting, energizing and entertaining.

I also love it when words seem to be misspelled or improperly used...only to find out they’re not.

I recall early on in my writing career (and yes, I have actually had a “career” writing), going out of my way to find reason to use words like:

• albeit
• notwithstanding
• nevertheless

They were just cool to me -- a smash-up of other words making another word which wasn’t merely a remix but was its own entity.  

Today is Maundy Thursday on the Christian calendar.  I understand that may not mean much to those of you who read this blog and don’t hold a Christian faith.  I also understand our “celebrating” this Holy Week in the spring like we do does not indicate the time of year in which the actual events we recognize took place. 

Those facts notwithstanding, today is a day when I turn my attention to the events of the “Last Supper” and Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsemane (and his subsequent betrayal, etc.).  

This is an important time for me personally.  To pause and examine what Jesus willingly endured (and conquered) on my behalf is vital for maintaining proper perspective in my life.  It also pulls me closer to the heart of God and farther from the trappings of man.

The retelling of the entire story, albeit important, is not essential for my point today.  Instead, I ‘d like us to focus on Jesus’ prayer.

It is impossible for me to fully imagine the inner conflict Jesus must have felt.   Knowing what was ahead of Him just had to shake the “fully man” part of him indescribably.  We see a glimpse of this in Matthew 26

 Then He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me.”
The next verse illustrates the reality of the situation:

He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.
This was not a simple, joyous culmination of a mission for Jesus.  This was excruciating.    In fact, it was so difficult, so brutal, He asked if there was possibly another way for salvation to be purchased and provided.

But then He uttered a powerful word:

nevertheless

Obviously, the words found in the New King James translation weren’t exactly the ones He used.  Nevertheless, the sentiment is clearly communicated...and ought to be clearly considered, too.

Jesus was being real with the Father.  He laid it out for Him.  He said, “I’d really rather not have to do this...”

Then came the nevertheless...

Thank God for the nevertheless.  

At its root, nevertheless means:  “Everything I said before the ‘nevertheless’ is something I wanted you to hear...and everything after it is what we need to do.”

Jesus didn’t hide His feelings during His prayer.  In the same sense, once He expressed them, he willingly embraced the Father’s wisdom and direction.

I once preached at a church and talked about “getting real” with God.  I mentioned that it is okay to tell Him how you truly feel about something...or what your true desires are -- even if they’re not exactly in-line with what HE wants. 

The Pastor chastised me and never invited me back.  He insisted ours was never a place to complain or be contrary -- especially not in prayer.

That made me sad -- not for my “career”, but for Truth.

Jesus didn’t hold back while He prayed in Gethsemane.  He told the Father what He thought...but he followed it up with nevertheless.

What an amazing word, nevertheless...especially when used in this sort of context.  

“God, here is my way of seeing things...here is what *I* would like to have happen...here is my idea, etc...nevertheless, let’s do it YOUR way.”

That’s the type of faith I want and the kind of prayers I want to pray. 

I want to be real and raw with God. 

I want to lay myself open and bare with him -- totally uncensored and unfiltered.

Then, I want the type of faith and focus that Jesus showed when he said nevertheless.


1 comment: